Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Heaven and Earth aligned

SoxYankees2004 <<---<< In comment to this blog

It was the fourth game of the 2004 World Series. The game was in the 2nd inning as I climbed aboard a regional jet from Houston to Asheville, NC for a weekend at our mountain home in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

We were incommunicado in the RJ, insofar as baseball was concerned. The Sox were up 3-0 on the Yankees in the series - Yanks with their back to the Green Monster, and the "Curse of the Bambino" hanging by a thread.

As the captain pushed the nose over for our descent into Asheville, he made a broad left turn to intercept the final approach path. As the aircraft rolled into the turn, an odd muted reflection found its way into the window, traced its way across the seatback in front of me, jumped over to my leg, and began moving up my chest. I peeked out the window to make an identification of the source. The moon was in full eclipse - the first time I had ever witnessed the phenomenon from 30,000 ft.

"Its a sign", I thought. "Heaven and Earth are in alignment. The curse is broken." As I climbed in my rented Deville, equipped with XM satellite radio, I tuned in the game in the 8th inning.

As the scorekeeper registered the third out in the ninth inning, "Red Sox Win!" flashed up on the XM receiver. Imagine. This final game being played during a rare cosmic event, to immortalize a rag tag group of men more resembling Amish Pirates than a baseball team.

Heaven and earth were in alignment to break an 85 year old curse. 'Tis the stuff of baseball legend.

--a fan of the world's greatest game--

1 Comments:

At March 19, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew you were watching that amazing night...go Sox!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home